Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
Gaye recorded the album between 1970 and 1971 in sessions at Hitsville U.S.A., Golden World, and United Sound Studios in Detroit, and at The Sound Factory in West Hollywood, California. It was his first album to credit him as a producer and to credit Motown's in-house studio band, the session musicians known as the Funk Brothers.
What's Going On is a concept album with most of its songs segueing into the next and has been categorized as a song cycle; the album ends with a reprise of the album's opening theme. The narrative established by the songs is told from the point of view of a Vietnam veteran returning to his home country to witness hatred, suffering, and injustice. Gaye's introspective lyrics explore themes of drug abuse, poverty, and the Vietnam War. He has also been credited with promoting awareness of ecological issuesbefore the public outcry over them had become prominent.
- 1 What's Going on - Marvin Gaye, Cleveland, Al
- 2 What's Happening Brother - Marvin Gaye, Gaye, Marvin
- 3 Flyin' High (In the Friendly Sky) - Marvin Gaye, Gaye, Marvin
- 4 Save the Children - Marvin Gaye, Cleveland, Al
- 5 God Is Love - Marvin Gaye, Gaye, Marvin
- 6 Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology) - Marvin Gaye, Gaye, Marvin
- 7 Right on - Marvin Gaye, Derouen, Earl
- 8 Wholy Holy - Marvin Gaye, Cleveland, Al
- 9 Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) - Marvin Gaye, Gaye, Marvin